Today in Gaming

October 11, 2019

3…2…1 GO!! This is what everyone has been seeing on their phones recently from the new Mario Kart Tour game that recently dropped for smartphones on the 25th of September. For a game that came out not that long ago, it’s already pulling in record-breaking numbers with more than 10.1 million downloads already. With more than half the school playing it, it has already pulled in over a million dollars worth of profit. Although it’s one of the latest and hottest games right now, it’s not the only one. On October 1st, Call of Duty Mobile was also released for smartphones. Raking in 100 million downloads in the first week.

We asked a few students what their opinions are on video games and their reasons for playing them. Kevin Manzanares, a senior, said, “I like to play video games because it’s a good way to relieve stress and I get to play with my friends when I’m bored”. Bryan Ocampo, another senior, replied with “It’s a good way to kill time when you have free time. Playing video games takes you out of reality for a moment and lets you have fun. It’s also a different way to interact with others.” Eduardo Carrera, a freshman, had a different way of looking at it saying “Video game skills can transfer to the real world.” when asked how he replied with “A certain skill can be paying close attention to small details. Some games have you look for small items, objects, or just certain things. In real life you’d be used to paying close attention to small details, so you might notice things others would miss.” 

We also decided to ask other students what they think about the latest smartphone games. Eric Carreno, a senior, said “Call of Duty mobile is a very fun game, I didn’t expect it to be as good as it is. You get addicted to it very easily.” Another student, Josue Favela, also commented “Mario Kart Tour is a good game when it comes to wasting time. It keeps you busy and the missions in the game keep you dedicated to keep on going.”

After playing both games, I can say they did live up to the hype that they were expected to be. Both games came out with amazing graphics, engaging gameplay, and best of all it’s easy to learn how to play them. Although Call of Duty Mobile and Mario Kart Tour are the most recent games, they’re not the only ones being played. After walking around and asking students what games they play at home and what console they use, most answered that they use a PlayStation and play Tom Clancy Rainbow Six Siege, a more competitive first-person shooter game.  Overall, it seems like smartphone games are starting to pull in numbers doing big moves. Now we wait to see what the future holds for video games. 

West Leyden Lancer • Copyright 2020 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in