Seniors, Get Ready For FAFSA!!!

FAFSA, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is a government program which grants student loans to pay for college and their careers. October 1st, was the opening day for students to begin applying for FAFSA.

Students personal experience with FAFSA range from excitement to nervousness, and all of them in hopes of receiving some type of help from FAFSA.

General Idea of FAFSA and its Purpose

“I kind of always knew it was like, the government kind of giving you money….” – Daniela Tapia (Senior)

“I just thought I like it’s money from the government but like, nothing much.” – Nathan Agoncillo (Senior)

“I know that it’s like, basically a free money from the government if you qualify. – Osbaldo Porrua (Senior)

Students have some grasp on the concept of FAFSA and are on the right path to what its purpose is. Let’s dive into it more….

FAFSA is an online form that any student who plans on attending college may fill out any time between its opening and closing date. FAFSA will help you earn federal financial aid from the government such as grants, loans, and work study funds. With grants or loans, the college that one will attend will apply that money toward your tuition, fees and room and board (if you consider to dorm on campus). FAFSA makes it possible for you to attend a college you may not be able to afford.

Who Qualifies for FAFSA? 

“I think there’s like a certain like, income level that afterwards like if you make too much, You probably don’t qualify.” – Osbaldo Porrua (Senior)

“Like if your family doesn’t make enough and it benefits you because you won’t be that in debt.” – Daniela Tapia (Senior)

There are many qualifications for FAFSA which many are not aware of. These qualifications assure your chances of being eligible to receive some type of help from FAFSA.

1. Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen (including a U.S. national or permanent resident) and have a valid Social Security number.
  2. Have a high school diploma or GED certificate.
  3. Be enrolled or accepted as a student in an eligible degree or certificate program.

Completing FAFSA

Applying for FAFSA gives you access to these types of aid:

1. Grants and scholarships: money you don’t have to pay back
  2. Work-study jobs: paid, part-time work that’s generally on campus
  3. Loans: money you need to pay back, usually after you graduate

FAFSA can be completed online at FAFSA.gov. If you live with your parents, or your parents are helping to pay for college, it may be helpful for them to sit down and complete the form with you.